If you have been arrested for DUI in Ohio, you are probably feeling overwhelmed and scared about what awaits you. The consequences of a DUI conviction can be severe, including fines, jail time, and a criminal record. However, with the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer, you may be able to fight the charges and protect your future.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the DUI defense strategies your lawyer can use to help you secure the best possible outcome for your situation.
COMMON DUI DEFENSE STRATEGIES
Facing DUI charges can be a frightening and stressful experience, but with the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney, you may be able to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed. Effective DUI defense strategies that a criminal defense attorney can help you devise and execute include the following:
- Challenging the Stop and Arrest – One of the most common defense strategies in DUI cases is challenging the stop and arrest. If the police did not have probable cause to stop or arrest you, any evidence gathered after the stop may be inadmissible in court. Your lawyer will review the circumstances of your arrest and look for any evidence that the police violated your rights.
- Challenging the Field Sobriety Tests – Field sobriety tests, such as the walk-and-turn or the one-leg stand, are often used to determine if someone is impaired. However, these tests are notoriously unreliable, and many factors can affect the results. Your lawyer may challenge the validity of the tests and argue that they do not provide enough evidence of impairment to justify a DUI conviction.
- Challenging the Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) Results – Another common strategy in DUI cases is challenging the BAC results. Breathalyzer tests and blood tests can be subject to errors and inaccuracies, and your lawyer may be able to find flaws in the testing process or results. Depending on the circumstances of your case, your lawyer may be able to argue that the BAC results are unreliable and cannot be used against you.
- Negotiating a Plea Bargain – If the evidence against you is strong, your lawyer may recommend negotiating a plea bargain. This involves pleading guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a lighter sentence. While it may not be the outcome you were hoping for, a plea bargain can help you avoid the most severe consequences of a DUI conviction.
- Presenting Mitigating Factors – Finally, your lawyer may present mitigating factors and use them to argue for a reduced sentence. For example, if this was your first offense, you have a clean criminal record, and you are taking steps to address any substance abuse issues, your lawyer may argue that you deserve leniency. Mitigating factors can help your lawyer negotiate a better plea bargain or argue for a lighter sentence.
For a free legal consultation, call 614-675-4845
Koffel Brininger Nesbitt is dedicated to assisting individuals in successfully navigating legal challenges and safeguarding their rights when confronted with DUI-related matters. Our team is here to provide informative and accessible support throughout the legal process. To learn more about Koffel Brininger Nesbitt, and how we can help you if you’ve been charged with DUI in Ohio, read our clients’ reviews and check out our case results.
Call Koffel Brininger Nesbitt at (614) 675-4845 or contact us online today for a free case evaluation.