Protect Your Rights, Protect Your Livelihood
Licensed professionals work tirelessly to earn their titles and the trust of people with specific needs, but they remain subject to stringent standards and oversight – as well as risks of disciplinary action.
When allegations or complaints arise, professionals may be forced to defend themselves and their futures before administrative boards. Should this happen to you, early intervention and representation provided by experienced license defense attorneys can make all the difference.
For a free legal consultation with a professional license lawyer serving Columbus, call 614-675-4845
Administrative Medical Board & Professional License Defense in Ohio
Though licensure proceedings are administrative matters, the repercussions of an unfavorable decision can be as devastating as a criminal conviction. With potential for tremendous penalties, reputational harm, and career-ending outcomes, licensure matters demand the guidance of experienced advocates.
Brad Koffel has earned a reputation over the past 25 years as one of the “go to lawyers” in Ohio when doctors, nurses or pharmacists get in trouble. Brad represents professionals who face life-altering allegations and high-stakes proceedings in:
- Criminal court, if licensed professionals are indicted for alleged crimes;and
- Before various professional licensing authorities that dole out disciplinary sanctions.
Columbus Professional License Lawyer Near Me 614-675-4845
License Defense: Who We Represent
Mr. Koffel leverages his experience, connections and resources, to protect the livelihoods of professional clients who have a lot to lose. With so much invested in a professional practice, disciplinary hearings that create exposure to sanctions, restrictions, or revocations can cause irreparable harm, or end careers.
Mr. Koffel represents clients before a range of licensing authorities, grievance committees, and disciplinary boards across Ohio. Professionals we serve include:
- Physicians, Nurses, and Other Healthcare Providers
- Psychiatrists and Psychologists
- Architects & Engineers
- Social Workers
- Registered Brokers / Financial Advisors
- Real Estate Agents and Mortgage Brokers
- Teachers, Educational Administrators (including Title IX hearings)
Though complaints and investigations may stem from a variety of underlying issues, we commonly handle administrative licensure matters involving:
- Ethics violations
- Standard of Care issues
- Criminal charges / convictions
- Improper prescribing
- Fraud or misrepresentation
- Sexual misconduct
- Professional negligence
- Substance abuse / impairment
- Unauthorized practice / board order violations
We also assist in petitions for reinstatement or reconsideration, contesting citations, fines, and other penalties, and appealing board rulings to Ohio courts.
Medical License Defense
The State Medical Board of Ohio, like other administrative medical licensing authorities, exercises great power over licensed physicians. For those who receive notice of complaints and allegations, immediate consultation with a defense attorney is critical to mitigating risks and exposure to penalties.
Mr. Koffel will step in the shoes of his clients to:
- Respond to allegations and Notices of Opportunity for Hearing
- State Medical Board investigations and record requests
- Requesting administrative hearings to present evidence, arguments, and testimony
While every medical board proceeding is unique, early intervention and a meticulous exploration of available options can help avoid protracted proceedings and limit exposure to substantial sanctions, including suspension, restriction, or revocation of one’s medical license.
This may include efforts to demonstrate a lack of probable cause prior to the commencement of any administrative proceeding, the negotiation of a post-citation settlement (OAC 4731-13-17), or defending against allegations during an administrative hearing.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Ohio Board of Nursing
Brad Koffel represents nurses facing potential investigations or actions against their license by the Ohio Board of Nursing over a range of allegations established under ORC 4723.28 and 4723.281. These include:
- Compliance, Discipline, and Monitoring matters
- Nurse Practice Act (NPA) violations (medication, standard of care, professional boundary violations, etc.)
- Substance use disorders
- Violation of Consent Agreements / Adjudication Orders
- Providing false or misleading information
- Out-of-state or other licensing entity disciplinary action
- License and certification
Ohio Board of Pharmacy
Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, and those involved in Medical Marijuana and the terminal or wholesale distribution of Dangerous Drugs are subject to oversight by the Ohio Board of Pharmacy. In all matters involving licensure and disciplinary action, professionals have the right to defend themselves against allegations and investigations.
As with the State Medical Board and Board of Nursing, Ohio Pharmacy Board administrative proceedings are governed by statute and rules of procedure and evidence. KBN assists clients with:
- Pharmacy Board investigations
- Hearings and negotiations with the Pharmacy Board or contract hearing officers
- Presenting oral or written testimony, arguments, cross-examination, and evidence submission in formal hearings
Comprehensive Defense in Ohio Professional Licensure Cases
Whether you are a doctor, nurse, or another licensed professional, working with legal representation can help mitigate your exposure to risks and enable a full exploration of available options to avoid or minimize disciplinary action. At KBN, we focus on early and thorough preparation, informal resolution, and treating all complaints – no matter how innocuous they may seem – as matters which may quickly escalate into career-altering ordeals.