Columbus Prostitution Defense Attorney
Were you charged with compelling prostitution (2907.21 ORC)?
Compelling prostitution is a third degree felony criminal offense in the state of Ohio. If the person compelled into prostitution is between 16 and 18 years old, the charge can be enhanced to a felony of the second degree, and a first degree felony for those under 16 years old. Any felony offense is serious, but sex offenses in particular carry the weight of stigma that makes it difficult to move forward with life after a conviction.
The Koffel Law Firm's team of Columbus prostitution defense lawyers can help you if you are facing this type of charge. We are consistently listed in "Best Law Firms" for our region, we have attorneys listed in Best Lawyers®, and our founding attorney Brad Koffel has been named one of the "Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorneys" in Ohio by the NACDA.
Arrested for compelling prostitution in Ohio?
Contact The Koffel Law Firm at (614) 675-4845
Compelling Prostitution – Defined
2907.21 of the Ohio Revised Code defines compelling prostitution as knowingly doing one of the following five things –
- Compelling (by using force, fear, duress, or intimidation) someone to participate in sex for hire
- Facilitating a minor/person believed to be a minor to engage in sex for hire
- Paying or agreeing to pay a minor/person believed to be a minor to participate in hired sex
- Paying or agreeing to pay a minor/person believed to be a minor after they have participated in hired sex
- Allowing a minor/person believed to be a minor (whether you are the parent, guardian, or otherwise in control of the child) to engage in sex for hire
Penalties for Compelling Prostitution
According to 2929.14(b)(7) of the Ohio Revised Code, a sentence for a compelling prostitution conviction is –
- First degree felony prostitution: 5-10 years in prison
- Second or third degree felony prostitution: Not less than 3 years in prison
- Fourth or fifth degree felony prostitution: 12-18 months in prison
The Koffel Law Firm can help you if you are facing prostitution accusations. To learn more about your legal rights and options after an arrest, contact us today.