Appealing a Mayor’s Court Decision


If you were accused of a municipal ordinance violation, traffic violation, or misdemeanor in Ohio, you may end up in mayor’s court. These hearings are often more conveniently located than a municipal court, have a much more informal setting, and are held before the mayor or designated magistrate depending on the county.

While Ohio mayor’s courts have the authority to impose penalties similar to the ones from municipal courts, including jail time and fines, you have a chance to appeal the decision. Under Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 1905.23, you have up to ten days after the mayor or magistrate has rendered judgement to file a notice of appeal with the mayor’s court. Once you file a notice of appeal, your case will be transferred to your local county or municipal court to be heard by a judge. The judge will not consider the judgement rendered by the mayor’s court when your case it heard.

At Koffel Brininger Nesbitt, out Ohio defense attorneys have the experience necessary to provide the legal expertise you need when going to municipal, county, or mayor’s court. The Koffel Brininger Nesbitt has been voted one of the "Best Law Firms" for five years in a row, and with our main offices located in Franklin County, we can handle cases in the following mayor’s courts:

Since 2008, Koffel Brininger Nesbitt’s founding attorney Brad Koffel has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America®. When considering who to hire to represent you in court, why settle for anything less than the best? Contact us today to set up a meeting with one of our criminal defense lawyers.