On May 27, 2014, a Dublin youth sports coach pleaded guilty to attempted rape in violation of Ohio Revised Code § 2907.02, a second degree felony (13 CR 002390). The coach was caught in an internet sting after he attempted to arrange a sexual encounter with a young boy, aged 12.
An investigator with the Franklin County Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force ("ICAC") posed as the father of a 12-year-old boy and engaged in online chats with the Dublin man. In November 2012, the defendant thought he would be meeting the young boy for sex, but was arrested instead.
The coach faced up to eight years in prison. On July 22, 2014 at a sentencing hearing, the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas imposed the following sentence –
- Community control and intensive supervision as a sex offender for five years at the defendant's sole cost and expense
- Six months in Franklin County Corrections Center with 14 days of jail time credit
- Obtain and maintain full time employment
- No unsupervised contact with juveniles
- No electronic media devices
- Sex offender treatment programs
- Classification as a Tier III sex offender with lifetime registration
- Any violation of community control will warrant an imposition of six years in prison
Since the sentencing, the coach is no longer living in Franklin County and is no longer coaching youth sports.
About Attempted Rape: ORC § 2907.02
Rape, outlined in § 2907.02 of the Ohio Revised Code, can be charged as attempted rape (ORC § 2923.02) if the offense was intended, but not carried out. According to this statute, engaging in sexual conduct with a person less than 13 years of age constitutes rape, regardless of consent, because anyone under the age of 18 has not yet reached the age at which they can legally give consent to such acts.
About Tier III Sex Offender Registration in Ohio
Anyone sentenced to register as a Tier III sex offender in the state of Ohio must report to the sheriff in their county every 90 days for the rest of their life. Tier III is reserved for the most severe types of sex offenses. In addition to attempted rape, some crimes that can warrant Tier III registration include –
- Sexual Battery § 2907.03
- Gross Sexual Imposition § 2907.05
- Murder with Sexual Motivation § 2903.02
The Koffel Law Firm represents individuals throughout Central Ohio, including Dublin. If you or someone you love has been arrested in or near Dublin for a sex offense or other type of criminal violation, contact our firm today for a confidential case evaluation.